I have always had a bad habit of latching on to music that boyfriends listened to. Thanks to a brief high school romance with a “country boy,” I listened to a lot of Rosanne Cash.
My college boyfriend loved jazz and unusual music. He played the drums and listened to music all of the time. One of his favorites, Level 42, is a group that I still listen to, though I can’t hear one of their songs without thinking of that boy. He was big and loud, funny and sweet. We were together for four years, all through college, though we should probably only have been friends. During Christmas Break one year, my mother got tickets for us to see Level 42. They were the opening act for Tina Turner. We had a great time.
The day that I called my mother, to tell her that I was getting married, she was silent for a minute. She asked me if I had talked to the college boyfriend. I hadn’t. He had also called her that day, to tell her that he was getting married.
So, here’s to that kind boy. He was always good to me, and is someone who I will always think of fondly.
A song that makes you happy A song that makes you sad A song that reminds you of high school A song that makes you think of your mother A song that reminds you of a lost love
- A song that you can’t stand
- A song to drive to
- Your favorite silly song
- Your favorite holiday song
- Your favorite movie theme
- A song to make out to
- The song you play most often
- A song that you don’t remember putting on your iPod
- A song that you are embarrassed to admit you like
- A song from the best concert you ever attended
- The last song that got stuck in your head (Earworm!)
- Best 80’s soundtrack song
- Your favorite party song
- The best song to slow dance to
- The last song you downloaded
- The best song remake
- Your favorite classical song
- A song to play loud when you are doing chores
- A song that makes you dream of a far away place
- A song that inspires you
- A song that soothes you
- A song from the year that you were born
- A song that you can play (or wish that you could play) on an instrument
- A song that you remember from your childhood
- The song that you think of as “your” song