It has been quite a while since I posted to my Grace blog; and sitting here tonight, I got the urge to start back up. The daily effort to remind myself of the grace all around is something that takes no effort, really, and is a good exercise to end each day on a positive note.
1) Hummingbirds – My aunt just moved into a new home. She has travelled a very rough road in this life and it is good to see her someplace that is all her own. My mother and i went over to visit her and I took a housewarming gift. I found a pretty hummingbird feeder. Mom and I stopped to get some chain and hooks to hang it. We got it hung outside on the patio, and this morning, the first hummingbird discovered it. By early afternoon, several more had gotten the word. I talked to my aunt tonight and she was thrilled.
2) American Flags – Say what you will about the flag being just a symbol, but I always get a bit of a thrill when I see an American flag waving. My grandfather always had a flag and taught me proper flag etiquette: put it up at dawn, and take it down at sunset. Never let the flag touch the ground. Tomorrow, we will put up our flag and think of the many freedoms it represents.
3) Cooking – I’m not Betty Crocker by any means, but I certainly get points for trying. I’m lucky to have a family that will try just about anything once.
4) Talking to my mother – My mom and I talk on the phone several times a week. We’ve been through so much together, and I can’t imagine having anyone else as a mother.
5) Short weeks and long weekends – I took Friday off, though with the number of emails and phone calls that I took, I might just as well have gone into the office. I am glad for the actual holiday tomorrow, followed by a four day work week.
Hope your Sunday was glorious, and that your Fourth of July is a blast.